Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Cook Time: 55 Minutes
Serves: 5 as a main course
- 2 pounds broccoli, stems removed, large florets cut, yielding about 8 cups of broccoli florets (I have also used Cauliflower)
- Salt for blanching water
- 2 strips of thick-cut bacon (about 2 ounces), cut crosswise into 1/4-inch wide strips (When I don’t have fresh bacon, I use bacon bits)
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon fine ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (I haven’t tried the recipe with Dijon mustard because I keep forgetting to buy it, but it sounds yummy!)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (one of these days I’m going to experiment with different kinds of cheese)
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil (1 Tbsp salt for 2 quarts of water). Add the broccoli florets and boil for 3-5 minutes or until just tender enough so that a fork can easily pierce the floret, but still firm. Strain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
2. While the water in step one is coming to a boil, cook the bacon pieces on medium heat in a frying pan until lightly browned, but not crisp. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess fat. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 425°F. Butter a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. In a bowl, whisk the eggs into the flour, then whisk in the cream and milk. Add the black pepper (more or less to taste), salt, and mustard. Mix in about a third of the cheese.
4. Place the parboiled broccoli florets in the casserole dish, sprinkling about a third of the cheese over the broccoli florets as you lay them down. Sprinkle the bacon pieces over the broccoli. Pour the egg, cream, milk, cheese mixture over the broccoli, moving the broccoli pieces a bit so that the mixture gets into all the nooks and crannies. Sprinkle the casserole with the remaining cheese.
5. Bake for 25-40 minutes, or until set. Once the top has browned, you may want to tent with aluminum foil to keep from burning.
This recipe is from: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/broccoli_cheese_casserole/